Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Dogs Ate My Car. Seriously.

I own 3 large & normally well-behaved dogs. This afternoon I put them outside while I mopped the floors.

After 30 minutes or so I heard them yipping - sounded as if they'd gotten themselves stuck in something. I went out to discover they'd apparently cornered something under my car in the driveway. But I couldn't see anything there.

So I put the dogs in the house and got down on my hands & knees to look, but still couldn't find anything underneath the car. Then I opened the hood and there was a terrified squirrel, hissing and squalling and scrambling and clawing all over the engine.

I jumped back, and that is when I saw what the dogs had done to the car trying to get the squirrel out.

They pulled out the wheel well liner entirely, and chewed up the whole front quarter panel of the car. It's all plastic, right, so they literally ate it. I mean, pieces are chewed off, bite marks & scratches everywhere. The damage is amazing. b 



Here are some samples of their work:








My question is, does anyone know if auto insurance normally covers something like this? Should I say it was a bear? I phoned home to ask my dad but he can't stop laughing long enough to answer me!



--MaggieBelize
Designer, 
kNotes for kNitters
Creator, 
Happy Hands Hand Cream for Knitters
Sandia Park, NM

8 comments:

  1. wow, i thought i was alone in this, i put my car through the the MOT at
    Kingshurst Automotive and they found work was needed on the underneath of the car where my dogs had chewed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how many dogs-eat-cars stories I've heard since this happened. Perhaps my favorite is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0fN0WUGes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yowza! It seems dogs can do something if they ever catch a car that they're chasing. It doesn't look like a fun sight. Your car definitely needs some repairs with that. It's probably for the best to be honest; just say it was an animal attack, and maybe that will do.

    -Clint Moore-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I did 'fess up, told my insurance agent exactly what happened. I was SO relieved to find out that the insurance covered ALL the damage, including the damage the squirrel did to the engine (new windshield washer pump & etc). I will stay with State Farm for life after this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, oh my! The squirrel really made your dogs mad, huh! Too bad that it was your car that suffered the most damage. In that case, that should be covered by the insurance firm because it is an accident, in a sense. Good thing that you had it repaired as soon after it had been damaged.

    Regards,
    Erwin Calverley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, they did a job on it alright! But it was all covered by insurance. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah. They seriously did that? Good thing your insurance company covered it all. :) Anyway, you can use a car cover that goes all the way down the wheels of your car, so that next time, it would be safe from any damage.

    Tyra Shortino

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Maggie. Good to hear that the insurance covered the repairs. It was unfortunate that your car was damaged. And based on the photos, I think it’s actually something to be thankful for that nothing more serious happened to your car. Just imagine if the animal was much larger than a squirrel. You might find yourself bringing your car to the shop for engine repair.



    @Timmy Radloff

    ReplyDelete