Saturday, March 7, 2009

Favorite Foods from Fiery Foods Fiesta

We went to the Fiery Foods show in Albuquerque last weekend, and really enjoyed tasting all the hot stuff. We were a tad bummed out by the $15 p/p entrance fee, which I thought was a bit much, but other than that, a great day.

I loved more of the incendiary concoctions on display than I could ever list, but here's what I actually brought home in my shopping bag:


As the name suggests, these sweet little tidbits are cooked up locally (by East Coast transplantees). 

My favorite, a biscotti-type treat made of chocolate and red pepper, isn't listed on their website yet. (Dudes, update your site!)  The photo here is the Chocolate-Pinon version.

In ABQ, AlbuqCookies allegedly can be found at La Montanita Co-op, Kellers Farmers Market, and Model Pharmacy, but I haven't verified this yet.


What first caught my eye was the great logo of this San-Diego based company - then I fell in love with their self-described "obscenely delicious", non-smoky grill glazes & rubs. 

Wish I could have gotten them all, but finally narrowed it down to two: "Moroccan Twist Rub Rub" and "Sweet & Spicy Grill Glaze".

You can buy Sauce Goddess online, or at many retail outlets in California - none yet in New Mexico, more's the pity.


Los Cuates is a local ABQ restaurant dishing up darn good New Mexican cuisine in general, and a truly stellar cooked salsa in particular. 

Their salsa is deep, dark red, gravy-like, with a smoky whiff reminiscent of chipotles - I love it so much I could drink it. 

So I was thrilled to find them at the show, offering 16-oz jars for $4, cash & carry! I didn't know you could buy the stuff outside their restaurants, and haven't seen it on local grocery shelves - but I'll look again, just as soon as this jar's empty.

Mmm, mmh! Hot stuff.

--MaggieBelize
Sandia Park, NM

No comments:

Post a Comment