Monday, March 30, 2009

More Fun & Games: Instant Random Band

Found this on the Make-zine blog recently: instructions for creating an instant, random band, complete with cover art, band name & album title!

1. Go to Wikipedia and hit “random article” and the first article you get is the name of your band.

2. Go to “Random Quotations”. The last four or five words of the very last quote of the page will be the title of your album.

3. Go to Flickr and click on “Explore the Last Seven Days”. The third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.

Here’s what I got:

1. Band name from Wikipedia random article …

Okay, first try: That 1 Guy.

Hey! That’s already a band name!

“Mike Silverman, better known as That 1 Guy, is an American musician based out of Berkeley, California. He frequently performs and records as a one-man band, using a slew of homemade instruments and singing, often with rhyming, nonsensical lyrics.”

Should I go back and try again?

Oh wow, I got another musician! This time, it’s Amity Dry.

Amity Renae Dry is an Australian singer/songwriter, and a former reality show contestant.”

I guess either name would for my mythical band, but for today I’m going with Amity Dry. (Neither’s as good as one my Galveston friend Jim Kelly suggested, “Baitcamp Splinterboard”!)

2. Album title from Random Quotation

On my first draw, I got this bit from Carl Sagan:

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.”

Hmmm, by the rules that would make my album title “Inconsiderable One Of Being True”, rawther dry. If I weren’t playing by the rules, “Wonder in Science” would be good, or closer to the rules, “The Additional Virtue of Being True”.

Let’s try again.

Oh, much better! This time I got this:

“When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats.” Claude Swanson (1862 - 1939)

That means my album title can be “Follow The Rats”! I love it!

3. Random album art from Flickr

Oh, I am a lucky girl! Look at the picture I got, from Flickr’s last 7 days, third picture displayed:

ShadowDogShadow Dog
From Raymond Larose

Isn’t it great?

Now it’s off to PhotoPaint to work out my new random band album.

 

 

 

And here it is:

ShadowDog2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What fun!

--MaggieBelize
Designer, kNotes for kNitters
Sandia Park, NM

No comments:

Post a Comment